Railway Survey Services
Railway & PWay surveys:
Railway surveying has always been of vital importance in the maintenance and construction of our railways but recent dramatic increases in traffic and the resulting pressure to expand capacity has significantly raised the profile of the railway regeneration. More than ever before survey companies working on the railways need a solid background of experience, efficiency and expertise.
Severn Partnership has been involved with railway surveying since 1994 and has worked in railway projects all over the country from Aardgay in Scotland to Cornwall in the South West. We are experienced at working day and night on stations, embankments, tunnels, plain line, complex S&C renewals and drainage surveys. A quick review of the other tabs in this section of our site will demonstrate our success in completing projects on the railways.
All staff are PTS trained and we are “Link-up” registered and ‘Proof Audit’ approved. We have the ability to mobilise a considerable workforce, often at short notice. We are also very used to working at night within possessions where time, or the lack of it, is an important consideration. We also benefit by having COSS qualified Senior surveyors, London Underground (LUL) track accustomed surveyors, Irish Rail PTS and experience of Docklands Light Rail (DLR), Liverpool Metro and EWS sidings & yards.
- We now have our mobile mapping system ‘Pegasus:Two’ – a high accuracy survey grade system capable of being rail vehicle mounted and mapping on the move to +/-5mm relative
- BIM4I – Building information modelling for Infrastructure projects is on the rise. We have numerous case studies for you to look at, from stations to bridges. We also have a detailed BIM execution plan guide you through the process.
- Seeable Apps – take your plan or 3D data, augment it to add value, innovate, save time and increase safety
- Utilities survey – we now have expert utilities survey teams for cable tracing, GPR and more in house
- Platform Severn – Our in house training & rail survey equipment calibration facility
Continual improvements to rail infrastructure all seek to add more journeys or a larger fleet of faster trains, aiming towards a seven day railway providing a continuous reliable service. This means that the efficiency and speed of our work is more important than ever before.
Investment in railway specific equipment such as the Amberg GRP system FX for rapid clearance analysis gives us the edge with efficient working methodologies.
Access to railway track and infrastructure is usually of short duration, often during the hours of darkness. With the most modern instruments available, production rates are maximised allowing staff to complete large amounts of work in a limited period.
Of course, this efficiency must be combined with strict adherence to Network Rail’s published safety standards, particularly RIMINI, work package plans (WPP) and task briefings (TBS).
While Severn Partnership employs the most up to date electronic instruments and relevant specialist equipment, we are also experienced in using traditional railway surveying techniques and have the sense to know when the traditional approach is still the best method to use.
We have used our experience of railways and surveying to develop measurement techniques which minimise access to the track. We have designed and implemented survey systems for the monitoring of movement in tunnels, bridges and embankments.
These techniques, which require virtually zero track access, are frequently used for the monitoring of rails during nearby construction work and have been accepted as good practice by Network Rail.
Examples of relevant experience include:
- Irish Rail – 165miles of High accuracy control survey, photogrammetry and structure surveys (Dublin to Cork)
- Parsons Brinckerhoff – 205 bridge structures, tunnels and signals, topographical survey and ClearRoute sections
- Corus – Reading Station: building survey, elevations, track survey and platform survey
- Network Rail secondment as Survey advisor on the A09 speed enhancement project
Kinematic scanning for rail projects:
The Amberg GRP system FX 5000 system for helical kinematic scanning is a portable high precision measurement system for high speed railway infrastructure surveys. It allows high accuracy track geometry observations to be supplemented by high speed, real time 3D clearance and point cloud laser scanning. The benefits – very high speed, high accuracy, volume of data and valuable time on track reduced.
This equipment sets the standard in railway surveying, moving tunnel scanning from 100m/hour three years ago to 2km/hour to observe a 3D registered point cloud. The trolley itself can also be used to refine the precise track geometry observations again adding speed and accuracy. We can also automate the process of clearance profile analysis (taking clearoute sections as CAD or SCO files). The Amberg system makes use of our Leica HDS6100 ultrafast phase based laser scanner. The HDS6100 takes 3D laser scanning to the next level of portability and productivity; compact, easily transported, on board batteries and integrated hard drive to log data, faster boot up time.
Potential uses with Railway Infrastructure:
- Tunnels, bridge, gantries, retaining walls, other fixed infrastructure
- Clearance and profile checks
- Inventory surveys and assessment databases
- As built surveys
- Clash detection
Examples of relevant tunnel survey experience include Severn Tunnel, Box, Sodbury, Patchway and Newport Tunnels
For more information please email us at email@example.com or speak to us on 01952 676 775.