Subsurface Mapping – University Detection Survey
Subsurface Mapping – University Detection Survey Summary:
The University of Cumbria required accurate locating and mapping of underground utility services for potential future development works at two of its campuses.
The project aim was to map all detectable buried utility services and to update the current OS tile with changes in the building footprints. The survey was completed in accordance with TSA guidelines as a Level 4 Survey.
The two campuses are located in Lancaster city centre and Carlisle city centre. Severn Partnership’s Utility team spent approximately 4 weeks surveying the Lancaster Campus and 2 weeks surveying the Carlisle campus.
The sites consisted of a mixture of well-maintained parkland, landscaped gardens, roads, car parks, pedestrian walkways, artificial sports pitches, buildings and areas of vegetation.
The site was open to the public and vehicles at all times.
The survey included:
- Survey designed in accordance with The Survey Association (TSA) guidelines as a Level 4 Survey.
- Compilation, review and digitisation of utility service plans (including statutory and historic).
- “Real time” Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) survey.
- Radio Frequency Location (RFL) passive and active cable detection.
- Visual inspection of manhole chambers for verification of service type and depth.
- Drainage tracing survey using Cobra and Sonde.
- 2D AutoCAD drawing with mapped utilities overlain on the topographic base-map.
- Utility Detection Report detailing methods used, a data quality review, whilst highlighting areas of interest and evaluating traced utilities against Stat plan information and further recommendations based on the client’s objectives.
- Manhole Schedule – a schematic drawing and photograph of all manhole chambers including, invert levels, flow direction, pipe material and notes on condition.
Date: 13 Nov 2014 14:26
“ The University of Cumbria have worked with Severn Partnership on two busy and complex campuses. Severn Partnership worked around our core business hours to minimise disruption to our students and were accommodating at all times. The thoroughness of the results demonstrated the tenacity of the survey team in getting all possible data, which we were delighted with. Throughout the contract they were excellent communicators and delivered the results on time.”
Peter Trumper, Estates Manager, University of Cumbria.
For more information please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or speak to us on 01952 676 775.