Monitoring Rail Track Movement Survey
Monitoring Rail Track Movement Survey Summary:
At Severn Partnership, we can offer innovative and professional solutions to any given monitoring problem – either fully automated Leica GeoMos with data sent remotely over mobile phone / internet or 24 hour manned. From bespoke aluminium low cost targets to top spec Leica prisms on brackets.
Working to Network Rail Standard NR/BS/LI/045.
Since 1991, we have developed a particular specialisation in the field of remote monitoring of rail track during construction works. In 1997 we introduced a remote system and have been using it regularly ever since. Our remote system of monitoring can be fully automated for cost effective 24 hour monitoring.
All monitoring projects depend on a stable monitoring location. We build concrete pillars where possible. Our survey system checks the position of this survey station prior to each set of monitoring readings and makes use of the updated geospatial position; thus an unstable monitoring point will still produce good results:
- Stable Monitoring Pillars contracted to minimise errors.
- 24 hours a day track monitoring (two or three Surveyors working in rotation).
- Hourly, daily, weekly or monthly intervals.
- Real time automated solutions available.
- Using latest Trimble S6 magdrive robotic total stations for accuracy and efficiency.
Monitoring visits are manned by Surveyors with systems set up to provide checks on potential observational errors – making sure false alarms are not raised. We are well aware of the speed restriction / line blocking implications of track movement.
- Real time movement reports.
- Onsite spreadsheet analysis (X, Y, Z changes).
- 3D DXF of rail alignment changes.
- Isopachyte contours for surface deviations (in ‘mm’ or ‘m’ depending on areas covered).
- 3D scan clouds for complex surfaces – see laser scanning page.
Examples of Relevant Experience Includes:
- Crewe – UTX Pipe jacking below WCRM. 7 days, 80 targets, every 30mins.
- Standish – UTX Pipe Jacking below WCRM. 5 days, 60 targets, every 30 mins.
- Althorp embankment – Wooden stakes in sloping ground, monthly measurements for 1 year.
- Bedford – Bridge structure monitoring, monthly for 2 years.
- New Street Station – Stour Tunnel. 150 targets. Emergency monitoring regime every night for 8 weeks.
- Paddington Station – Bishops Bridge Road project. Project Surveyors on and & off for 2 years. Up to 300 monitoring targets in total for tunnelling going under full width of station.
- Llanelli – two sites on same project. 300 targets. Set up monitoring regime then taught client engineer to continue twice daily measurements. Ongoing project.
- Cardiff – 80 targets. Ongoing project. Measurements every 2 hours for 4-5 days.
For more information please email us at email@example.com or speak to us on 01743 875 000.